Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Faith overrides your feelings!!


     Hebrews 11:1 is a definitive verse that states "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." But what does that really mean?? 
     Emotions are a contingency of being human. We will always experience feelings of sadness, loneliness, hurt, pain, insecurity, fear, anxiety, etc. But one thing we have to understand is that we shouldn't be controlled solely by our emotions. Emotions are constantly changing. We may feel someone is upset with us, but their not. We might feel lonely because we have no significant other, but we aren't because God is our mate. We might feel insecurities because of a upcoming bill that we have no earthly way of paying. It is not my attempt to act as if these emotions don't exist, but to accept these feelings without allowing them to get you off your spiritual walk.
     The enemy can use our feelings to allow us to take our eyes off God and focus only on our circumstances. Psalms 119:165 says "Great peace have those who love your law, and nothing causes them to stumble." We have to have peace, and peace is a state of untroubled tranquility, or a state of harmony or contentment with God. Peace says despite what goes on around me or how I feel I choose to focus on God. The Bible says to cast your cares upon God. God doesn't want us to get distracted by anything that will allow us to stop worshipping him. He wants to be your provider, your battle fighter, and protector. Our feelings can serve as a distraction! Feelings are just that a feeling. We must become dependent on our faith. Faith says no matter what I see or feel God is in control and will take care of everything.
     Romans 10:17 says, "so then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." This scripture is emphasising our need to get the Word of God inside of us as it waters our faith. Hearing the Word of God allows us to get it inside of us. By getting the Word inside of us we can focus on him and not the feelings associated with our circumstances. II Corinthians 12:9 says "And He said to me, My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness. Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."
     When I can't seem to make ends meet I boast of the power of Christ. When I am feeling lonely and want a companion I boast of the power of Christ. When my friends turn their back on me or people lie on me I boast of the power of Christ. So what I am saying is rather than let my feeling dictate my mood, and get me in a place of depression I thank God that his Grace is all that I need. Why?? Because God's Grace provides for me, comforts me, keeps me safe, and keeps me as a whole. My feelings say "Oh whoa is me! I will never get so and so!" but my faith says by the grace of God my needs and wants are fulfilled.
     Practice your faith when your feelings try to bring you down. Abide in God's perfect peace because there you will find his grace and blessings. My favorite thing to say when I am sad, lonely, or upset is "Lord I know its not about my feelings, but about my faith. I believe you are working things out so I don't need to focus on my circumstances."

Thank god for His Grace!

Kiva Thompkins

No comments:

Post a Comment